Now we’re getting personal
Ten Things You Couldn’t Possibly Know About Me…
- I cannot roll my ‘R’s’, never could. Pease don’t ask me to try unless you want to be peppered with spittle and snorting giggles. Perhaps, it’s the laughing that defeats the whole process? At any rate, when I try I sound like a motorcycle backfiring in a strangely irregular succession while riding through a tunnel.
- My armpits are very sensitive. When we were kids my sister used to pin me to the floor with her knees on my wrists and sit atop my belly. Then, she would tickle the hell outta my armpits until I laugh-screamed for mercy. When anyone asks me if I’m ticklish today, I put on the best poker face I can muster and lie my ass off.
- I absolutely HATE wasting good food, which is why I’m known by family and friends for making great soups. What they don’t know won’t hurt ’em, right? I often consume things most people might consider ‘stale’. Because I have a finely tuned sense of smell, which can also be a pain in the arse, I rely on it to tell me what’s edible and what ain’t. Maybe it is past the suggested ‘sell by’ date, but if it smells okay, I’m eating it, and you might be too!” Just in case you think I’m gross, here’s some fun facts to chew on about food waste in U.S. each year!
- Most women love shoes. I love feet. Foot fetish? Maybe, but I prefer to think it’s mostly just comparative curiosity, enough said. Moving on…
- We’re half way through, shall we dig deeper? Okay, here goes…I wouldn’t trust me if I were you. Poets are hopeless romantics and fiction writers are notorious liars. Odds are, someone’s getting hurt one way or the other, which is probably how I learned the fine art of contrition.
- I think one of the most important qualities a human being can develop (and you can develop this unless you have certain disease pathologies) is the habit of introspection, or the ability to self-reflect. Why? Because I believe it is this unique ability which most separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom, not our thumbs (though they are quite helpful).
- In 1983, I joined the U.S. Navy where I accepted special training as an arc welder and pipe fitter. I may have been mildly influenced by the movie “Flashdance”, released the same year. Since then, I’ve learned to never underestimate the influence of pop culture.
- I am a spiritual and cultural mutt and I couldn’t be happier about this discovery. My DNA includes West Africa, the Holy Land, Native America and Great Britain. I am most proud of my minor lineages, and least enthralled with my caucasian heritages for obvious reasons.
- We don’t see the world as it is, we see the world as we are. This quote is written at the top of my pantry door which is painted like a giant chalkboard. It’s been there for a few years now. I firmly believe, as a species, we are all, more or less, neurotic and it has a lot to do with the bullsh*t limitations we impose on each other and ourselves. In this sort of temporal reality that relies on shifting perceptions, it matters most who we keep company with as this will influence how we see ourselves and the world.
- I once appeared on the cover of a local magazine called ‘Twist St. Louis’ beneath a headline that referred to Porn Stars…something, something, I don’t recall the complete title just that it wasn’t supposed to be ‘my headline’ though it looked like it was. As a local singer/songwriter I was the cover story in place of featured actor, John Goodman (Rosanne) when he cancelled the interview at the last minute. When my parents received their copy of the magazine they had quite a few questions for me, as you can imagine. The editors swore they’d not meant to make the layout so provocative and probably should have used a larger font for the title, “Who is Sandra Knight?” Really? If I can find a copy of the image maybe I’ll post it later…or maybe not.
Now, I’d love to hear from you folks: Valerie Kittell, Jane Vogel, Sherry Caris, Moses in the Wild, John Tinney, S SD, Rohit Gupta, Aura Wilming, Geoff Atkins, Roz Liddle, kurt gasbarra, Georgia Lewitt, Steve B Howard, Lizella Prescott, Tom Farr, Louise Foerster, Jp Cote